Seeking counseling can be difficult for many reasons. This may be your first time or you are considering getting back into therapy after a break. It can be difficult to open up about personal problems, yet tremendously beneficial. I will do what I can to help, in part by creating a safe and confidential space in which you can explore new and potentially fruitful ways of thinking, feeling and behaving.
My name is Peter MacFarlane. I have a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from Ohio University and am fluent in English as I have recently returned to Denmark after 25 years in the United States. I offer a broad range of psychological services to english speaking adult individuals and couples, and further have expertise in expatriation and cultural concerns. I have offices in central Copenhagen, near Rådhus Pladsen and Tivoli.
People with depression experience their symptoms in unique and individual ways that often are very personal. This can not be overstated. People with depression should not be treated as medical problems. People with depression often think of their symptoms as personal shortcomings or weaknesses. This tendency towards self-blame is further a core part of the way depression can cause the person to think about themselves.
Psychologists often use a list of symptoms to help diagnose depression. These include:
- Depressed mood (feeling sad or empty)
- Loss of interest or pleasure in things you used to enjoy
- Weight loss or gain not contributed to other things
- Difficulty sleeping or suddenly sleeping more than usual
- Feeling tired or slow, or feeling restless
- Feeling worthless or guilty
- Difficulties concentrating
- Difficulties making decisions
- Thinking about death or dying, thinking about ending it all (If you or a loved one is in danger, then please seek immediate medical help through the emergency room or medical doctor.)
A person does not need to have all of these symptoms, but if they are significant enough to cause distress or loss of ability to work, live, or play, then it is time to seek treatment. These concerns are very treatable, however, with research suggesting psychotherapy as the first choice of treatment. You can read more about my approach to treatment in the other pages.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 10.00-15.00
Wednesday and Friday: 14:00-20:00
+45 42 20 40 86
Vester Voldgade 100, st. tv., 1552 København V.